Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Gestalt

I don't think I like Gestalt Therapy/theory. There is something about it that throws me off. I understand the idea of living in the present, but I don't know if I could spend every day in the present. Is there not a point where you have to think about the future? Where would everyone be if they just lived in the moment, without goals and ideas of where they were headed? I just don't see this as being something that I can relate to.

The other idea that I disagree with, to an extent, is the ideas of death. Gestalt therapists supposedly help you "come to terms" with death, so that death does not pose an anxiety. I have a really hard time with this. This is not something that I want to think about. Maybe it happens to be just the place where I am coming from in my life at this point, but I have been there (except not in the positive way that this supposedly is). One of the questions under the Gestalt section of our workbook (as a type of question that a GEstalt therapist would use) was "what would be written on your epitaph?" Really? I don't want to think/write about that. That leads to other ideas, like what your obit says, what people would say about you at your funeral... all the way to what picture would they use? I am not ready to think about that, so obviously I have some anxieties about death that are "abnormal" according to Gestalt.

They also do some crazy kind of role playing in Gestalt therapy that I could never see myself using or doing. It would just be... weird. And I just can't get off the death idea. I am not trying to sounds ominous, but really, I have tried to push those ideas out of my head, since the last time I had them was not a very good time in my life. To think of these ideas brings back other thoughts that I have dealt with, but that still impact me. I think that I really like the idea of counselors going to counseling, and I think this is something I am going to look into.

4 comments:

Jenny! said...

I hear you, it does sound a little morbid. But maybe you could phrase this in a more positive way. Such as, instead of asking what your obit or epitaph would say, ask what you think your friends' and relatives' opinions of you are. I can definitely see how this would help people take a closer look at their life and relationships, and help them fix anything that they don't like. Just a random thought I had, since obviously I know nothing about this Gestalt guy :)

izzy said...

Yeah, i think there are some definite positives to being able to view death as something not so frightening. I get anxious when I think about it though because I know I wouldn't be ready to go today. I haven't done barely anything that I want to, but I guess this could be a positive for people too, because it would allow them to think of the things that they want to do in the here and now, and think about how they could that. Huh. Thanks Jenn, you are so smart!

Unknown said...

Death is scary and it sucks. When it happens to people around you enough, you get used to it. I had 2 years of losing people, so it's hard to get worked up about it anymore. Most people aren't ready to think about it, but I see the point of it. Instead of thinking of all the things you haven't done, think about what your epitaph would say at the END of your life. so when you're old and withered, what would it say you accomplished. That might show you/people what is really important to you.

Unknown said...

We did this is my RCIA class last night. See my latest blog post.