Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Dreams= crash and burn?

I am so mad!!!!! I went from elated, to pissed, to even more pissed. I swear, if this next email comes back how I think it will, I may be flying to Vancouver to have an argument with someone. I can't even find a phone number to call to talk to an actual person! Backing up, here is the story.

So, I finally got an acceptance for an interview to medical school!!! Yippee!!! Except... I did acknowledge in my application that I am currently a grad student. Which is true. Apparently, in this case, in terms of acceptance and the interview, you have to fill out a grad progress report. This report gives you three options to choose from: a) My program (thesis, defence, exam, whatever, will be completed by June 30th, 2010) b) I am already completed my masters, I will send a transcript and c) I will not be done by June 30, 2010 and wish to WITHDRAW MY APPLICATION. WTF???? I won't be done, but there is no way I want to withdraw!!!!! Frick, how about I withdraw from the masters? What was supposed to be a good idea and a back up is quickly turning into my biggest nightmare.

All I want to do is cry, because I don't see a way around this. If I don't submit that section, I get my interview rescinded. The only section I am able to complete is the one that says "withdraw application". But I don't understand.... it's not as if I couldn't quit the program. Medicine is my dream, this was a strange backup. How logical is it that my "smart move" is turning into the obstacle now standing in my way? Was I supposed to not go back to school and pin my hopes on this illusive dream? And even if I drop the masters, what if I don't get into medical school? Again, pinning hopes. Why is this process so retarded?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

wow Izzy! That is horrible!!
I would email them again and ask if you can call them directly to talk about the situation.
Would it be possible to drop the masters and if you don't get in the med school you can go back and just continue? Surely they would honor your completed courses...

I think this may be one of those times you have to jump in with two feet and say to hell with it. Med School is your dream. If the masters was a back-up plan, and it's standing in your way, you can do something about that.

izzy said...

I plan to phone them. Apparently they only take phone calls from 1-4 pm, so I have to wait until this afternoon. I finally found the spot on the website where they talk about graduate students, but I still want to know why this is. You only need 90 credits of university to apply, so why the deal with grad studies? However, unfortunately I don't see this making a difference, probably only to me and my piece of mind. Which isn't really going to help my peace of mind out much though...