Tuesday, September 22, 2009

EI: Emotional Intelligence

Alrighty, so my emotional intelligence is average. This I can understand completely. I need to be more open with myself, in terms of how much I let others see. I am a fairly closed person, and I don't think that I am always in-tune with my feelings. I need to be able to open myself up to others more, and let myself appreciate social interactions more than I do. I tend to keep my circle of people who are privy to personal information fairly small. According to the test I just took I need to be able to be vulnerable enough to establish those ties with other people. I would hate to think that I isolate people because I am unable to reciprocate when it comes to the sharing of emotions, but I know that I do this.

While I am often able to to identify for myself how I feel in situations and deal with my emotions privately, it is still different then understanding emotions on a deeper level. My problem areas would have to be in developing that emotional connection with other people. Any suggestions as to how to work on this?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Leaving yourself open and vulnerable is really tough. It takes a leap of faith that you have to just trust the person you're speaking with. Some people will give you a vibe that you just feel comfortable talking to. You have this inherent feeling that you can trust them. Could be some stranger, could be a friend.

The point is there is a line in which you either choose to cross and divulge something personal, or you freeze up and close off. You need to start seeing that line. Once you see where that point in the conversation is, you'll be able to choose to share. It's a choice you have to conciously make.

I know that had a feeling portion in it, so I'm not sure how you'll take it, but it's an active choice to share something about yourself. You have to jump and see what happens. Start with something small!

izzy said...

I am going to try really hard to work on this! Thanks Laurel!

Unknown said...

It's tough dude, but I have faith in you! Start with small things. If you think of something you'd like to say in your head, but would normally not say it, try vocalizing that thought. It can be quite liberating. Especially if it's a compliment.

Thought: oh I like that skirt, wonder where she got it?
Ask the question outloud :)