Monday, September 28, 2009

An experiment

I was reading about existential therapy the other day, and combining that with Adlerian, basically you can use a variety of techniques to help people realize their goals in life, whether those goals are known at the moment or not. So I was thinking of ways in which you might be able to have people connect with those wants and desires, if it is not apparent to them. So here is my idea, let me know if it makes sense to you. (Try it out too if you want, it might have been done already, whatever...)

It has no name at the moment. I shall have to google it, because chances are this is plagiarism.
Take your current play list. Choose one song that believe speaks to your life as you see it at the moment. Describe the connections you see/feel in this song. Identify any feelings of contentment, joy, distress, hurt, etc. that this song makes you feel.

Next, from your play list choose another song. This time choose a song that stimulates emotions/actions you would like to feel. Identify these for yourself. Try to find a song that speaks to you, but one which you have no personal stories to infer when listening to the song. Analyze what it is you think this song means to you- why did you choose this song to represent a "want"? What does that indicate to you? Once you have analyzed why you picked the song, then you can begin looking at the component you think you are missing, or have not yet realized and you can begin setting goals to reach this place.

This might not make much sense. It makes sense in my head. I think it would make more sense if someone was guiding you through questions, which is kind of my intent. I think this would be kind of good for adolescents. That way they can talk about emotions through a different venue (music) as opposed to having to be exposed themselves. They can use someone elses words to help them find their own. Ideas?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you ever get goosebumps on your legs/arms when you listen to a song and you can't quite figure out why until you really sit down and listen to it?
THOSE are the songs that speak to me. I get that feeling that ripples out to the surface.
Never thought about listening to a song and thinking of it as what you'd 'want'. Might have to try that

izzy said...

I just think that subconsciously we are sometimes drawn to certain songs, and maybe it is because we WOULD LIKE to be able to relate to that experience? For me it is Barefoot and Crazy, by Jack Ingram. I would love to be able to relate to that song. So, when I look at the elements that make up that song, I can understand better a goal for myself if this is someething I think I want to pursue.