Sunday, September 27, 2009

Regional Council

This weekend at Regional Council I had an amazing time! Wow, it is so inspiring when people with a common goal come together and share stories/experience/goals. I guess I should mention what regional council is- it is where a variety of delegates from the Northern Region of the Canadian Cancer Society BC/Y division come to PG and we talk about successes of the last year, and the new ideas coming for the following year. I was really fortunate to meet (for the second time) Dr. Carolyn Gotay, who is the director of the Prevention and Wellness program at UBC. I basically love her job, and think she probably has the greatest job ever. She gave the keynote address yesterday, and now I have even more ideas on some really fantastic masters projects/research (just what I needed, more choices to debate!).

It was such an incredible weekend, listening to how these people in the room have inspired their communities and made such a difference. We had a little girl in PG be a team captain at relay for life, and she single handedly raised over 3,000 dollars last year for the relay. She is 10 years old!!! It was also really cool, because our Prince George unit (specifically the Prevention Team, Emergency Aid and Support Services) were recognized for our leadership. That was really awesome for us, and set us up for this year. Our prevention team had generally worked under the direct supervision of the staff member for the region, since the staff members and their office is located in Prince George. However, this year we will be completely on our own! (Kind of like all of the other units- however our team takes on a lot more projects and challenges than other units). So this year we are all alone in our endeavors- our Fearless Leader is off on maternity leave! We are very much going to miss her... but it is kind of exciting to be in such a worthwhile leadership role. Our team has been broken down into "sub-areas", with each major task being headed up by a different team leader. And yours truly just gets to over see all of these leaders and be their go-to person. I guess I would be the "top" team leader. Essentially I have what seems to be a big job, but I don't think it will be too strenuous, as this group of people are all very capable and dedicated.

No idea where this blog was going, because it isn't what I started out blogging about... need a new blog for that one. But I guess I just wanted to get down my feelings of excitement, nervousness and joy from the following weekend. Wish us luck for the future year! Let's hope we can make Megan proud when she gets back haha!

No comments: